Saturday, December 8, 2007

Saturday Night

Not much more exciting than Friday night when we went to the convenience store on base to get some munchies to snack on. But I wouldn't want to be driving on the icy roads out there right now, it is cold and will only get colder tomorrow.
So as I reflect on this predicament I am in right now I can say that while I didn't volunteer for this, nor would I ever have volunteered for it (but I guess that since I am a navy reservist I somehow did volunteer for this), I can look at the benefits. One of these being the people I get to meet, from very different backgrounds, and there is a good mix of active and reserve people. And no, most of us did not choose to go spend 9 months in Afghanistan, after 3 months in frigid Kansas. I also am with the people I will be spending my time in Afghanistan with and I am none too thrilled. One member, a lieutenant, is weird, I can't explain but the fact that he is Chinese may or may not be a factor. Another lieutenant in my group is a little clueless, he has been in the reserves for 6 years and never went to see (never was active), so I can see how any sea time is beneficial in helping to handle this situation, especially now that I live in a bunk bed with just a locker for my stuff. Incidentally, we had some extra bunk beds and I took possession of a lower bunk bed, hopefully also further away from the symphony of snores I had to listen to last night.
Lastly for this post, the training we are about to go through will be fun for the most part, except for the frigid weather. We will shoot weapons, a lot of time will be spent waiting for our turn outside in the cold, and we will also learn to drive a humvee and then get around the base only in humvees, to include night driving with night vision goggles. There will be some other training, language classes and combat lifesaver training during which I will get to administer an intravenous to a fellow classmate, and have the same done unto me. I am also looking forward to getting my small pox vaccine but will wait until after Christmas, the month following the vaccine is none too pretty!
This is all for today...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So happy to catch up after Art Basel. Ton BLOG et ce que tu ecris est super et digne de l'education tendrement maternelle! J'admire ton humour vu les circonstances. Mercy mon Huggy!

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive