Monday, February 18, 2008

last free week-end

I spent this past week-end, President's Day week-end, in Austin, TX. We finished our training the thursday before, were off from thursday afternoon 'till tuesday morning, so I thought I'd go visit my old roommate from my submarine days down in Austin, TX. Why not go back to Miami? That is a topic better left alone, and besides there is nothing that can be done about it now!
Anyway, what I did while in Austin consists of drinking one too many Mexican martinis friday night (and eating pretty much a whole hot pepper), seeing In Bruges and Esther's Follies on saturday (the first is a movie with midgets, prostitutes and guns, so a pretty good movie, filmed in Bruges, Belgium, and the second is a bunch of comedy skits centered on current news items and politicians, and being from Austin the current president was a prime target), and finally sight-seeing around Austin (went to the Capitol and saw a portrait of our current president back when he was governor) and roller derby sunday night.

So it was a pretty good week-end, I highly recommend Austin to anyone who's never been to Texas and is afraid of doing so because of Texans, and I'd like to thank my roommate Derrin and his wife Jolene for hosting me over the week-end, and Lani also, and lest I forget about Casey and Cloey (however it is spelled!)

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive