Tuesday, March 18, 2008

back in Herat

I made it back to Herat after a "comfortable" 1.5 hour flight on a
C-130. I don't think my back will ever be the same again!
The drive back to Kabul Airport was nothing like the drive from the
airport last Saturday, and we even rode in the "Mad Max" bus. They
somehow thought that 9 of us were going to the airport when we were
only four, and the whole drive felt sort of like a tour bus ride
through the city, with the exception of the body armor, the helmet
(and not the special bus kind) and the two weapons we were carrying.
Kabul is truly a city that must be seen to be believed, it is rather
unique to say the least. I haven't seen anything like it yet and
don't think I ever will.
Pictures should be coming shortly once I sift through them, and I
even took some video with my camera but haven't figured out how to
share it. I might have to ask my younger brother for some help in the
matter, but he did prove quite incompetent with an earlier request.
This'll be his chance to redeem himself I hope or I shall cut him out
of my will. Not that I am expecting to die anytime soon, just a
figure of speech!

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive