Saturday, May 17, 2008

26 June

It might still be a little early to look forward to 26 June, but it is never too early when here to look forward to going back to the States, albeit only for 15 days. So on 26 June I will be flying down to Kuwait via Qatar on what will probably be another comfortable military flight. With all the military flights I have been on I should definitely have enough frequent flyer miles for a free round-trip... on a military flight!
From Kuwait I should be getting on a charter flight most likely to Atlanta, not sure if it is stopping anywhere in between but it probably will. Fortunately my leave does not begin until I reach Atlanta since getting there could well take a few days or even a week. Those military flights and schedules are anything but reliable, and flights do get cancelled at the last minute.
Once safely back in the US and after having gotten accustomed to the high gas prices, I will spend a few days in the DC area during which time I will plan on meeting with a real estate agent so that I can hopefully buy me a home with a couple months of my return in November. I will also of course get reacquainted with a "normal" society, hang out with some friends, and catch up with all the beers I haven't been allowed to drink while here. But I have been invited to Italian and Spanish dinners and barbecues, and there was beer and wine present at these functions. I shall leave it at that.
I will also spend about a week in Miami where I plan to do not much but rest and be lazy around the pool at their apartment, and of course enjoy the company of my parents! I also plan on catching a few movies while in the US, there are a few ones coming out soon. Iron Man might no longer be in theaters but Indiana Jones will be, and perhaps a few others.
Then finally I will return to the DC area for 1-2 days before starting the trek back to my current home... Afghanistan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I AM READING YOUR JOURNEY, YOUR POSTS ARE FASCINATING.

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive