Thursday, May 8, 2008

military flights

This morning (Thursday) I was on yet another military flight from the
booming metropolis that is Kabul to the quieter more serene city of
Herat in the West. I am working on an upgrade to first class with all
the frequent flyer miles I have accumulated so far, but I am not sure
if the different "airlines" operating over here codeshare. So far I
have flown with the US Air Force, the US Marine Corps, the Germans
and the Italians, and none of these flights were particularly
comfortable. And no inflight service whatsoever! They're lucky I
haven't had to pay for any of these flights or they would have
definitely heard from me by now, that is no way to treat a human being!
Well anyway, this morning's flight was a little different as for some
reason the last 20 minutes or so were spent at a low altitude with
the plane banking constantly left and right. Five minutes of that
shit would have been more than sufficient yet it kept going on.
Fortunately I have a pretty strong stomach but there were times when
it felt a little queasy, but it never gave up unlike some poor Afghan
on our flight. But a plastic bag was readily available. I was told
once safely on the ground that this was called a combat approach, not
sure why it is the way it is though!
Today's flight was on a C-130 operated by the USAF, and as I happened
to be next to one of the few windows I naturally thought of taking a
few pictures. It is quite the sight to see us climbing between
mountains.

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive