Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday morning

I was asked if I wanted to go along on a CERP (Civil Engineering Report of Performance I believe) mission this morning, and was even asked whether I would be willing to drive there. Needless to say I was more than willing to oblige, a chance to get off the camp for a few hours and see some of this fascinating countryside, and get to drive a hummer while doing so.
We left camp this morning and headed north along the ring road (paved road circling Afghanistan, a little like a ring) for 15 minutes or so before taking a right to some village. As soon as we left the ring road the way to our destination turned to dust, most roads in this country being dust tracks. We spent another 30 minutes driving through various villages before arriving at our destination. The purpose of this trip was to inspect a wall around a school, and this took a half hour, give or take a few minutes. I had no role in the inspection and instead stayed near the vehicles and met some kids, apparently not privileged to go to school. With all the candy I received I thought my teeth would appreciate if I offered these kids some sweets, and I also had a gatorade bottle to donate.
I hope I will be able to go on one of these every week, a great opportunity to see more of this country and its people!
IMG_3819
IMG_3820
IMG_3815

more pictures

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive