Sunday, June 1, 2008

school for girls


In an effort to leave my base at least once a week, I volunteered my services as chauffeur to drive to a school for girls to deliver school supplies, nothing more than a backpack and a notebook. I think I need these short excursions one day a week to break up the monotony of my week, and this was a great humanitarian mission to be a part of. Granted, I had to stay in the vehicle (HMMWV) along with the gunner to provide for security but I still got to witness many school girls leaving with their new backpack and notebook, and just about all of the ones I saw had a huge smile on their face. It was a sight to see, and very uplifting, to see the joy a simple notebook and backpack can bring to people. Before returning we stopped at a nearby boy school at the request of the Afghan National Army, and while I was once again confined to the HMMWV I entertained myself and a bunch of boys around my vehicle with hand gestures. They seemed to get a kick out of me waving at them and them waving back, and once again a very uplifting moment. There is hope for this country after all!
Of course, with the rather hot temperatures and the very limited air conditioning blowing inside the HMMWV, and add to that body armor and a helmet, I was quite hot and wet after spending 4 hours in the driver's seat, but I enjoyed most of my time on this trip. Sure enough I took some pictures that I will be more than happy to share in a day or two.

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive