Tuesday, June 3, 2008

village of Jabrail

Here are the pictures from my drive to the school for girls in the village of Jabrail to deliver school supplies. To get there we had to drive through Herat, a first for me, and the village was right on the other side. And while I had to stay in the vehicle to maintain security with the gunner, I still had plenty of opportunities to take pictures. The place was essentially overrun with children, and it was a nice sight to see. The girls were ecstatic at getting a backpack and notebook, and it appears most of them were in a hurry to check out their new possessions once outside the school. My vehicle meanwhile was surrounded by gawking boys, I essentially felt like a fish in a bowl. But at our second stop to check out a school for boys, I entertained a few boys, and myself, by waving back at them. They seemed to get a kick out of me mimicking them. Of note, this village is mostly inhabited by Hazaras, the persecuted people. But they all seemed very friendly and appreciative of us.
IMG_3885
IMG_3932
IMG_3947
IMG_3953
IMG_3956
IMG_3959
IMG_3963
IMG_3974
IMG_3976
IMG_3979
IMG_3983
all the pictures

1 comment:

JEDI said...

I was ther in Sept of 05 and did the same thing for the girls and the Herat boys school...have to admit it was more enjoyable than killing Taliban down south.
Check it out if you have time.

http://mywarstories.blogspot.com/

SSG JEDI

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive