Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Georgy and Betsy

Time management could not be any better, we are scheduled to do stuff for 2-3 hours every day, and we can do whatever we'd like for the remainder of the day. And let me tell you, there is so much to do on an army base!
So this morning I was introduced to my two partners I will be spending the next year with, Georgy and Betsy. Georgy is my M-9 pistol, pretty much worthless (I would have called it George but tradition wants for it to have a female name, Georgy is close enough) and only good in close quarters situations. Betsy is my M-4 weapon (successor to the M-16), she is quite nice looking and has this awesome sight that pretty much guarantees a shot on target when aligned properly. I will enjoy shooting these weapons even while it will be freezing cold outside, but only in a training environment and hope to never have to use them in Afghanistan.
On another note, there is something eery about hearing artillery being fired throughout the day and even into the night. Once again, hopefully something I won't be hearing after I leave lovely Fort Riley. And army people are weird, I was saluted by some guy in his work-out outfit, I take it that's a uniform for them!
Anyway, looking forward to another fun-packed day tomorrow, briefings all morning with nothing in the afternoon!

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive