Sunday, December 2, 2007

Like a fish out of water...

We left San Diego Saturday morning. Why? So we could miss out on the Army-Navy game (thought I'd complain about this again so I can add that Navy dominated again 38-3, 6th win in a row), arrive in Ft Riley with enough time left to settle in, and have absolutely nothing to do on Sunday. And when I mean absolutely nothing, there is absolutely nothing to do in Ft Riley! Naval bases have nothing to envy their Army counterparts. Navy has the locations (the worst possibly being Groton, but that is still close to Boston and NYC), nice BOQs (military hotels) with TVs, free internet in the rooms (it's $4/hr or $10/day and only available in the exchange) and trash cans (yep, no trash can in my current room), and decent eating establishments (Burger King is the nicest it gets here). I do have a room to myself this week but will be moving to another part of the base next week with barracks accomodations. And weatherwise, it is very brisk, and I do mean very, with lots of cold wind. The landing was a tad rocky to say the least. Looking forward to those 0600 PT runs. But I am keeping the bigger picture in sight, to have enough money for a downpayment on a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo in northern VA when I get back, and to find Ossama of course!
A few pictures from the flight, but first a picture of yours truly, and as you can see the transformation has begun...




No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive