Sunday, March 2, 2008

hello from Herat

I made it to Herat a week after departing from Fort Riley, and I now know what my purpose here will be. I will be the liaison with the Spaniards for some office (I did put on my resume that I was fluent in Spanish, we shall see how fluent I really am soon I guess), but it also appears I might have a secondary function as photographer for the PAO (public affairs office). This is a good thing as it would allow me to get out of the base I am at now, Camp Stone, every once in a while. There is extremely little to do on this base for fun, so leaving it and checking out the surrounding area will be quite welcome.
The flight from Kabul was courtesy of the Luftwaffe, not bad all things considered except that for some odd reason our luggage did not make it on the flight even though it appears the plane could have easily accomodated it. We did have a s^&$ton of stuff with us, so much cold weather gear issued to us by the army that it appears we won't need after all. It is already getting quite warm here during the day and I fear it will only be getting warmer until next winter. But I also have some toiletries and clean uniforms in some of the bags that didn't make it, and I could sure use them by now. The uniform I have on now hasn't been washed since I left the US but I do have extra underwear.
Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures out eventually, the internet is not the fastest here. The scenery is different from that in Kabul, it's a lot browner and there is no snow on the peaks, maybe because of the lower altitudes.

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive