Friday, April 4, 2008

witness to a miracle


So I arrived in Herat on March 2nd or thereabouts and I was starting to wonder if I would ever see any rain around here. Obviously the surrounding landscape was a testimony to the little rain seen in this corner of the world, but surely it must rain some time. I knew California was bad and never thought I would be in a place worse off.
Well, yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, which might have been early morning for some of you, late morning for others, and probably not evening for any of you, it started to rain. I did all I could to keep from ripping my clothes off and running out in this most beautiful of rain, and trust me I was close to doing so (I have also been working out). And it wasn't one of those Californian "downpours" (a few drops falling from the sky qualifies as such there) but a steady rain.
But then it kept raining in the evening, and the temperature had dropped as well, and I started to think... Will it keep on raining forever? Will the sun ever shine again? I was beginning to feel like I was back in Belgium!
And then today happened!

1 comment:

Conrad said...

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I think all you guys out there are doing a great Job in very difficult circumstances

Big Thanks to you and your Collegues

Keep Safe

Best wishes Conrad

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive