Thursday, April 3, 2008

the silly military

The Army has a PT uniform (outfit to wear when working out).
The Air Force has a PT uniform.
The Navy does not (yet) have a PT uniform.
Some Army people apparently only care about that third point and are seemingly rather upset about the fact we are free to wear whatever we want while working out, so long as it is in good taste and reflects our Navy pride. So I purchased a couple shorts from the good ol' Naval Academy, one blue, one gray, both do not go below the knees, but I am now under the understanding that I can only wear the blue ones. The reason behind this asinine rule is that, while we still do not have a PT uniform, we were issued these silly looking blue shorts that are just plain ridiculous, so while we are at liberty to deviate somewhat we still have to wear blue shorts.
Well, what are they going to do, keep me in Afghanistan for another 8 months?
And another silly point, the Army people salute each other when in PT uniform. It is the strangest thing and one that takes getting used to as I have been saluted a few times, I first was caught off guard but later simply returned the salute. My question is this, how does the Army private in his Army issued PT gear know that the person approaching him from the other side is an Army general in his Army issued PT gear. Isn't he technically supposed to salute the higher ranking officer as he is in his PT gear?
Just plain silly I tell you!
And no, I refuse to wear our silly looking blue shorts!

2 comments:

crazy4danes said...

LOL great post....I never knew all that stuff and the Army does sound silly saluting in PT uniforms. :D

tattytiara said...

That's funny.

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive