Thursday, June 19, 2008

when plans go wrong, and not enough underwear!

This past Sunday I was scheduled to go to Kabul for the day to carry out some business before going on my two-week vacation, leaving Herat in the morning and returning in the evening. But as fate would dictate our plans didn't quite go as.... well, planned!
Me and a few others left Herat as scheduled on Sunday morning, around 8 am, on a German military plane. The flight to Kabul normally takes about 1.5 hours, and after sitting inside the plane for close to two hours we were starting to wonder what was going on, and the fact it was quite chilly in the plane did not help either. A few minutes later the crew announced that because of a dust storm we would not be able to land in Kabul and instead were heading to Mazr-e-Sharif, in the northern part of Afghanistan where the Germans are stationed. We knew then that our day-long trip would most likely include a night, but where exactly. And fortunately I had somewhat planned for this eventuality by bringing a second set of undergarments, but would that be enough foresight?
We landed at Mez an hour later, took a bus to the terminal and tried to figure out what the future had in store for us. After grabbing some lunch in a dining hall that would not have been out of place in any IKEA store, we eventually were allowed on a plane to Kabul that afternoon, grateful not to have to spend a night in Mez. And we enjoyed the German efficiency, while we could see our plane from the terminal and would just about knock our heads against it when walking out, we had to board a bus that did a 100 foot loop at the most to get us to said plane. It definitely got a good laugh out of most of us!
We spent Sunday night at Camp Phoenix in Kabul, took care of our business the following morning and returned to the airport to catch a flight on Monday afternoon. While we were waiting in the terminal thankful to be returning to our "home" in Herat (I was wearing my second and only other set of underwear) we were told that the flight had been cancelled at which time I realized I might have to do the unthinkable... wear dirty underwear! And with no flight before Wednesday I would have to wear dirty underwear on two separate days!!! Please forgive me for this transgression but sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
In the meantime I had the pleasure of meeting some Belgians, but only those civilized enough to speak French. And I was mesmerized by some of the women from the many foreign militaries that are at Kabul International Airport, mainly the Czechs, Norwegians and Danes. I was wondering what such beautiful women were doing in the military, surely it wasn't the proper place for these ladies, and had a hard time imagining them charging the enemy from the trenches a la WW I and II! And then I realized there must be quite a few "extracurricular" activities going on around here (the airport) that I did not take part of. To clarify a little I did walk into the male bathroom one evening only to open the door and have a French woman walk out followed by two French men... with their pants around their ankles!
Just kidding about that last part!
Anyway, I am now back in Herat, with clean underwear on, and am looking for a flight to Bagram to catch another flight to Kuwait on the 26th to catch a third flight to the US for my two-week vacation.

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive