Saturday, June 21, 2008

awards and tact

Since I will be leaving for my two week vacation on Monday, and when I will return the Army Colonel in charge of the base might have transferred, I was asked by the head Navy officer to provide bullets for an award for my work here. I am not sure where the merit is in putting oneself in for an award, should the award not be... well awarded for doing a good job and not because one asks for it, but I nevertheless reluctantly provide 7-8 bullets listing what I have done over the past four months. I don't care much for awards, and besides I only wear the uniform a week-end a month so should I really care all that much?
Well, the head Navy guy replied to my e-mail asking to be more specific, to which I replied after a careful thought process that the bullets I provided reflected what I have done in Herat so far, that I believe I have contributed to the effort in some capacity and am satisfied about my performance, and that the best award I can ask for is to go home with both arms and legs, but I thanked him for considering me for an additional award.
The head Navy guy found me later in the evening to again ask me to be more specific, but what do I care I am starting my journey back home tomorrow!

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive