Friday, August 22, 2008

gone on a HA mission

It had been over four weeks since I had returned from my vacation and hadn't had the opportunity to leave the camp, so I thought I'd volunteer to drive on a humanitarian mission this past Tuesday, this one was to go to a road opening ceremony about 20 mins away from the camp. Roads are a big thing over here, very few are paved, so any work to improve one of the dirt roads is welcomed with great fanfare. If anything it will allow the insurgents a quicker path to deliver their IEDs and other weapons of destruction.
There isn't too much exciting to add to this mission other than I sat inside the HMMWV (hummer for us not versed in military speak), and the A/C was not quite working but did a stupendous job at blowing hot air inside the vehicle. And I killed the two or so hours I spent inside my rolling oven people watching, I saw young and old, boys and girls, men and burkhas!
IMG_5102
IMG_5111
IMG_5142
IMG_5147
IMG_5162
IMG_5165
IMG_5167
IMG_5175
IMG_5182
IMG_5197
IMG_5203
IMG_5205
IMG_5216

more pictures!

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive