Saturday, March 8, 2008

my roommate

So my roommate moved out of my room yesterday and now I am all alone in this huge luxurious room but with a bunch of Army guys from South Carolina (and they sound like it, NASCAR is a big topic of discussion) in my barracks. My roommate was, still is, and might be forever a huge nuisance. He is quite possibly the worst person I have been around in the military, quite the selfish person as well. I had to put up with him during training in Kansas so when I found out he was my roommate I was none too pleased. He has that annoying habit of not blowing his nose and sniffles constantly, not 5 seconds go by without hearing him sniffle. I sat next to him for some training class back in Kansas and after hearing him sniffle for a few minutes I offered him one of my tissues. Most of us would take that as a sign to blow our nose, he just dabbed the tissue to his nose and kept on sniffling.
So the first day he was my roommate I told him he better blow his nose, not too unpleasantly, or it would be a long 9 months for him and I, other than that I ignored him and he ignored me which I could live with. But when on the second morning as I was still in my bed I heard him sniffle I threw him a bag of tissues, this apparently upset him and he challenged me to take "it" outside to settle our differences, like I was going to fight over this! He then said he'd go talk to the Colonel, the same person who is in charge of the whole region. Like he has nothing better to do but settle differences between us!
When I asked him what fighting would do he had no answer. Then I told him that not only is sniffling annoying to others, it's also bad for the health. Last I heard all that stuff that collects in the nose, in some noses more stuff than in others, is germs. But he decided to ignore me by that point. At breakfast I saw him sitting down with some senior enlisted people (officers won't eat with him so he imposes himself on the enlisted who can't really refuse), I stopped by his table and told the people he was with that he was the best roommate anyone could ask for, and I then asked him politely how he was doing and if he had slept well. The look on his face was priceless, and the senior enlisted knew I was being sarcastic.
So now I am all alone in my room, I'll probably be getting a roommate eventually but anyone will be better than my former roommate. Good riddance! And anyone he hangs around with gets quickly annoyed by his presence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bon debarras! Another medal for a job well done as only Huggy Bear can do! Poor volunteers who enlisted to serve in a war and are below Lt. Snifling with no option but to ENDURE him. You are UNIQUE! Of course, you are one of my 3 sons!

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive