Friday, July 11, 2008

Going on R&R...

Well, my days of freedom are sadly coming to an end, I must have somehow violated my parole and am being sent back to finish my sentence in my "concentration" camp in western Afghanistan. But I have a feeling my motivation to do anything worthwhile will be very low and I will essentially just be waiting to return for good, and save a little more money while so doing. This past year, most of 2008, will have been a waste for the most part, I will have very little to take away from it. Sure I have experienced some interesting things, seen some interesting things, and done some interesting things, but I could have done without most of it. I will admit that the money I have been able to save will help me in buying a home sooner than I expected, but will it really have been worth it? I don't think so. Besides it's not like they really need me to do what I do over there, whatever that might be, they just need a military officer! That is a comforting thought, to know that you are there just as a warm body!
Anyway, here are some pictures from my journey back to civilization...
IMG_4094
leaving Herat
IMG_4105
shortly after taking off from Herat
IMG_4109
what must have been a raging river a few (hundred?) years ago
IMG_4120
afghan landscape
IMG_4124
flying over Afghanistan
IMG_4159shortly approaching Bagram
IMG_4164
before landing in Bagram (can you spot the 2 helicopters?)
IMG_4167
tent city, some base in Kuwait
IMG_4169
leaving Leipzig
IMG_4199
the sun is rising as we leave Leipzig, Germany following a crew change and more fuel
IMG_4210
Atlanta in the distance
IMG_4217
Washington, DC in the distance

all the pictures

No comments:

the belgian submariner

My photo
Arlington, VA, United States
50% South African, 25% Belgian, 25% Russian; born in Lyon, grew up in Belgium, Ecuador and Venezuela; attended the US Naval Academy and spent 6 years in the Navy (3 in San Diego); transferred to the Navy Reserves and settled in Alexandria, VA

Blog Archive